What your course will look like
On successful completion of this course, most students go on to higher education, and many to a wide range of Ravensbourne degree courses. If you decide to go directly into work, we’ll help you find opportunities.
Stage 1 – Exploratory
Your first stage features a series of introductory projects focusing on the core disciplines of:
- Conceptual thinking and application
- Introduction to Adobe Creative Suite
- Observation skills and media manipulation
- Life and site-specific drawing
- Research, recording and responding
Design and media students will then explore a range of different subject areas, including:
- Fashion and textiles design and Fashion promotion
- Lens-based media (animation; photography; film and video; broadcasting)
- 3D design (architecture; interior; product; interactive design)
You will also undertake a contextual studies lecture series and written assignment.
Stage 2 – Pathway
You will deepen and develop specialist knowledge within your chosen subject area. We will encourage you to look and work beyond narrow definitions, and to collaborate with staff and students from other disciplines. You will be able to fully integrate research, ideas and methods to negotiate successful practical outcomes underpinned by theoretical understanding. This will enable you to build a competitive portfolio when applying for higher education and employment.
Stage 3 – Confirmatory
During the final stage, you will undertake and complete a major seven-week project, reflecting on your chosen specialist area and your planned progression path, culminating in a public exhibition of your work.