Bursaries and scholarships

For Further Education

New Designers diaplay non-gendered toys

Ravensbourne bursaries

We regret that foundation students are unable to apply for maintenance loans from Student Finance to assist with living expenses, as these loans are available to undergraduate students only.

We strongly advise prospective students to consider all the costs of study including accommodation, travel, equipment, and food while undertaking their course, and have alternative means of funding such as part-time work and/or savings.

Students may find the student budget planner produced by Save the Student a useful tool to help figure out a realistic budget. You will also find lots of tips on budgeting on their website.

Students 19 and over should also ensure they have the means available to pay tuition fees. The easiest way to do this will be to apply for an Advanced Learner Loan from the Student Loans Company, who will be offering support for help with fee costs only. See below for further information.

With regards to living costs, there may be some support available however, this will be small and discretionary. It is designed to assist with food, travel and/or course equipment.

Please see below our range of bursaries for 2021-22. The links to the online application forms will go live in August 2021.

The 16-19 Bursary Fund 2021-22

The 16 to 19 bursary fund provides financial support to help students stay in further education.

There are two types of 16 to 19 bursaries available:

  • bursaries for defined vulnerable groups of up to £1,200 a year
  • discretionary bursaries to meet individual needs, for help with the cost of transport, meals and course equipment.

Termly discretionary payments will be available to those with the most challenging financial circumstances. In most cases, these will be payments in kind such as food vouchers, oyster cards and/or course equipment.


To be eligible for the discretionary bursary, you must:

  • be an enrolled student on a full time foundation course at Ravensbourne starting in September 2021
  • have 'home' student status or have been granted full 'refugee' or 'asylum seeker' status
  • have been 'ordinary resident' in the UK, EU or EEA continuously for the last three years with 'settled status' which means having indefinite leave to remain
  • maintain at least 90% attendance
  • have a household income of £25,000 or less per year
  • be aged 16 or over but under 19 at 31 August 2021 or
  • be aged 19 or over with an Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP) or
  • be aged 19 or over and continuing on a study programme which began when aged 16-18.

To be eligible for the vulnerable bursary, students must meet the above criteria and be:

  • in care
  • a care leaver
  • receiving income support, or universal credit because they are financially supporting themselves or financially supporting themselves and someone who is dependent on them and living with them such as a child or partner
  • receiving Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payments in their own right as well as Employment and Support Allowance or Universal Credit in their own right.

How to apply

Students should complete the online application form and provide the Student Services Team with supporting evidence as follows:

For the Vulnerable Bursary:

  • For students in Care or a care leaver; written confirmation of your current or previous looked-after status from the relevant local authority - this is the local authority that looks after you or provides your leaving care services. The evidence could be a letter or an email but must clearly from the local authority
  • For students in receipt of Income Support or Universal Credit, a copy of their Income Support or Universal Credit award notice. This must clearly state that the claim is in the student's name/confirm they are entitled to the benefits in their own right. The evidence must not state any conditions that prevent them from participating in further education or training. For students in receipt of Universal Credit, institutions must also see a tenancy agreement in the student's name, a child benefit receipt, children's birth certificates, utility bills etc.
  • For students receiving UC/ESA and Disability Living Allowance and Personal Independence Payments, a copy of their UC claim from DWP (UC claimants should be able to print off details of their award from their online account). Evidence of receipt of Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment, must also be provided
  • A completed student budget planner
  • Copies of your last three month's bank statements.

Please be advised that students who meet the criteria for bursaries for vulnerable groups are not automatically entitled to a bursary if they do not have financial needs and/or their financial needs are covered from other sources.

For the Discretionary Bursary:

One of the following as proof of household income:

  • a letter from the Department of Work and Pensions showing receipt of benefits
  • a P60 from the current tax year
  • a Tax Credit Award Notice
  • copies of online statements for Universal Credit (last 3 months).

Students should also supply:

All supporting evidence should be emailed to [email protected] 

The application process is open. All applications should be submitted by February 2021. 

External sources of funding