Student Route Visa Eligibility

Tier 4 (General) student visa eligibility

A non-UK national* wishing to come to the UK to study at Ravensbourne for a course of six months or more must obtain a Student Route visa before travelling to the UK.

Please note, you will not require a student visa if you currently have permission to be in the UK in an immigration category which allows you to study (providing this permission is valid for the full length of your course).

*EEA/Swiss nationals must apply via the Student Route if they will arrive and are resident in the UK after 31st December 2020. If already resident in the UK before 31st December 2020, they must apply via the EU Settlement Scheme before 30th June 2021. 

In order to obtain the Student Route visa, students must attain a total of 70 Points as follows:

  • Demonstrating you have an offer from Ravensbourne and submitting a valid CAS number (Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies)

  • You meet the minimum English Language Requirements as outlined by UKVI

  • You demonstrate you can financially support your studies and yourself with the sufficient forms outlined by UKVI.

In addition, your application must fall for refusal under any of the ‘general grounds for refusal’ rules. For example, you must not have any criminal convictions, adverse immigration history or have breached any conditions of a previous UK Visa. For a complete list of the grounds for refusal please refer to Part 9 of the Immigration Rules-General Grounds for Refusal.

You should apply for your Student Route entry permission (if applying from outside the UK), or permission to stay (if extending from inside the UK) as early as possible.
Please note however, it is only possible to apply for a student visa after you have been issued with a CAS number.
Ravensbourne University London is able to assign a CAS to you up to six months before your course start date. 

  • Applicants applying from outside the UK can apply for a Student Route visa six months before their course start date.
  • Applicants applying for permission to stay under the Student Route can apply up to three months before their course start date.

For more information on applying for a CAS from Ravensbourne and the Student Route visa application process please visit the Visa and Immigration section of our website. 

For more information about UK visas and immigration, visit the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI)and the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA)websites.