English language requirements
You must provide evidence of your English language ability to study at Ravensbourne, unless you are exempt.
Most students from outside the UK need to submit an English language test as proof of their English language ability in order to study at foundation, undergraduate or postgraduate level, unless exempt. At Ravensbourne, we accept a range of English language tests, including IELTS. Find out more about our English language entry requirements to undergraduate and postgraduate courses below. Ravensbourne also provides pre-sessional and in-sessional courses to offer holders who wish to improve their English.
As a UK HEI, Ravensbourne can accept other English language tests, in addition to those from IELTS and Trinity, or use other means to assess whether an applicant meets Ravensbourne’s specific minimum English language score requirement for Bachelor and Master degree study, and will do so on a case by case basis. More detail is provided below.
English Language requirement for Foundation courses: Please note, Trinity College London and IELTS are the only two providers currently approved by UKVI (and Ravensbourne) to provide Secure English Language Tests (SELTs) for Tier 4 (General) student visa applications for study at Foundation level. Applicants intending to study on our Foundation programmes must take and/or submit an IELTS Academic for UKVI test or a Trinity College London SELT.
Level of Study
IELTS scores normally required by Ravensbourne
5.0 overall and a minimum of 5.0 in each component (reading, writing, speaking, listening)
(please note that for the Foundation course applicants are required to provide a Secure English Language Test or SELT, as mentioned above)
5.5 overall and a minimum of 5.5 in each component (reading, writing, speaking, listening)*
*Please note that applicants who have achieved an IELTS score of 5.5 in two or more components (regardless of overall score) will be required to take our Pre-Sessional English Language course. The Pre-Sessional English course will prepare you for the level and type of language used on your creative course, and assist you with a smooth transition to degree level study at Ravensbourne. The Pre-Sessional course will also enable you to meet other Ravensbourne students from around the world, who are studying a variety of disciplines. More information about our Pre-Sessional and In-Sessional courses can be found here.
6.5 overall and a minimum of 6.0 in each component (reading, writing, speaking, listening)
Exemptions from the English Language Requirements
According to UKVI regulations, you do not need to submit an IELTS or equivalent English language test if you fall into one of the categories below:
- You are a national of a UKVI deemed majority English speaking country as follows:
- Antigua and Barbuda
- The Bahamas
- New Zealand
- St Kitts and Nevis
- St Lucia
- St Vincent and the Grenadines
- Trinidad and Tobago
- The United States of America
(Please note: the Home Office will confirm your nationality using your passport. If you are a dual national you must use your eligible passport to apply for your Tier 4 visa in order to benefit from the provision.)
- You have completed an academic qualification, which meets the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or a PhD in the UK which was taught in a UKVI deemed ‘majority English speaking country (with the exception of Canada);
- You have successfully obtained an academic qualification (not a professional or vocational qualification) from an educational establishment in the UK, which is a Bachelor’s degree or above;
- You are moving from Tier 4 (Child) into Tier 4 (General); or
- You have successfully completed a course of study in the UK as a Tier 4 (Child) student or as a student under rules in force before 31 March 2009, where they were under 18 when granted leave, provided their course was at least six months long and it was completed no more than two years before Ravensbourne will assign their CAS.
Other English Language Tests
As a UK HEI, Ravensbourne can accept other English language tests, in addition to those from IELTS and Trinity, or use other means to assess whether an applicant for degree-level study meets UKVI’s and/or Ravensbourne’s minimum English language score requirement, and will do so on a case by case basis during the application process.
Other English language tests that Ravensbourne may consider include:
- GCSE in English
- iGCSE in English
- Malaysian 1119 O-Level in English
- Singapore Cambridge O-Level in English
- TOEFL iBT
- PTE Academic
Please include your English language test with your online application for review by our admissions team. If your qualification is not listed here please contact us using our contact form.
Applicants who do not meet all/some of the IELTS requirements (or equivalent) for their level of study may be asked to undertake an internal English language proficiency assessment or advised to enroll on a Ravensbourne pre-sessional English language course.
If you have any questions please contact our international admissions team via the contact form and we will get back to as soon as possible.