Ravensbourne University London
Covid-19 update Courses Apply now

Tier 4 Offer Holder Information

Congratulations on receiving an offer of a place to study at Ravensbourne University London. 

The following information regards the next steps in the process and a list of things you need to do before you begin your studies at Ravensbourne. Please also visit our New students page for useful information applicable to all Ravensbourne Tier 4 offer holders.  

1 . Your conditional/unconditional offer

conditional offer means that you have not yet fulfilled the criteria set by Ravensbourne in your offer letter, such as academic requirements, English language or other entry requirements (please refer to your offer letter).

We encourage you to please read the conditions of your offer letter very carefully. Once you have met the conditions of your offer, you must contact the international department who will then assess that you are eligible to be upgraded* to an unconditional offer in order for Ravensbourne to be able to issue a CAS.


An unconditional offer means that you have been offered a place to study at Ravensbourne and do not have any outstanding conditions which need to be met before you can be accepted onto the course. 


Once you have accepted your offer, you can pay your £5,000 non-refundable CAS deposit (this amount will be credited to your total tuition fees (first year fees for undergraduate students) deposit, submit your bank statements for assessment and then receive your CAS letter.

*Please remember to ensure that you have the required maintenance and course funds in your/parent's bank account for 28 consecutive days prior to successfully achieving the conditions of your offer as the visa application process can be lengthy.


NB: Please carefully read our Tier 4 Student Terms and Conditions here. By accepting an offer for a place to study at Ravensbourne University London you agree to all of Ravensbourne's Student Contract/Terms and Conditions as well as the Tier 4 Student Terms and Conditions.

2. Accepting your offer

Please confirm your acceptance by clicking the 'Accept' button located at the bottom of your offer letter, which can be found on your International Admission Portal (HEIapply) account, within 14 days of receipt of the letter or as soon as possible.

If you applied through UCAS or UKPASS, you will also need to accept your offer on the UCAS Track website.


By Accepting your offer you also agree to the Tier 4 Student Terms and Conditions. Please read them carefully before you accept your offer. 

3 . Academic requirements

If you are awaiting your exam results please ensure that you upload the results as soon as they are available to your account on the online International Admissions Portal. You will need to bring the original certificates and transcripts when you enrol at Ravensbourne. 


Your offer will remain conditional until you have provided us with any outstanding academic documents (if required) and you will not be issued with a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) until you have submitted all required documents/information.


N.B: Please note that you will need to bring your original academic certificates and/or transcripts, if you were made an offer on this basis, when you attend the in-person enrolment session at Ravensbourne.

4 . English language test score condition

If you are awaiting results of your English Language test please ensure that you upload the results as soon as it is available to your account on our online International Admissions Portal. You will need to bring the original certificate when you enrol at Ravensbourne.

Please note that you will not receive an unconditional offer or be issued with a CAS until we have received evidence of your English language ability (if you were required to submit this).

You will need to bring the original certificate when you enrol at Ravensbourne.

Other documents required for an unconditional offer

These may include submitting a copy of the bio page of your current passport, copies of any previous Tier 4 visas you have held, or an academic reference. Please ensure you upload these documents as soon as possible to your account on the online International Admissions Portal (HEIapply).

5 . Obtaining your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) from Ravensbourne and Applying for your Tier 4 Visa

Once you have been given an unconditional offer you will be reminded via HEIapply to provide us with any outstanding documents and/or prepare the required documents for a CAS. You must do the following before we can issue your CAS:

  • Provide us with evidence that you have sufficient funds to cover your tuition fees and living expenses during your studies (this applies to all applicants including nationals from countries that are eligible for 'different documentary  requirements' by UKVI). This evidence must be in the form of a bank statement (covering 28 consecutive days period-finishing on the date of the closing balance) or other document confirming the funds available to you. You will also be required to show that you have at least £1,265 for each month of your studies up to a maximum of nine months which is £11,385 to cover your living costs in the UK. Please read our Financial requirements guidance for further information on the requirements. Here are examples of acceptable financial documents: bank statement, electronic bank statement, a bank letter, a loan letter, an official sponsorship letter and a parental consent letter.



  • Provide us with any outstanding documentation (e.g. your passport bio page, copies of your previous Tier 4/UK visa etc.)

*US Federal Student Loans recipients are exempt from the requirement to pay the £5,000 CAS deposit.


Ravenbourne can only issue a CAS when you have met the following conditions:

  • You have formally accepted your unconditional offer;
  • You have provided evidence of all qualifications as requested;
  • You have provided a copy of the passport you intend to use to apply for your Tier 4 (General) student visa;
  • You have demonstrated that you are a genuine student and have met all of UKVI's Tier 4 eligibility criteria;
  • You have met all of Ravensbourne's CAS eligibility criteria;
  • You have provided evidence that you have sufficient funds to cover your tuition fees and living expenses during your studies; and
  • You have paid either the £5,000 non-refundable CAS deposit or your full tuition fees (first year tuition fees for undergraduate students) unless you are exempt.


Tuition fees

The tuition fee amount you need to show evidence of to the UKVI will be indicated in your CAS letter which will be provided by Ravensbourne. 

Ravensbourne  International tuition fees details

Please note that the remainder of your tuition fees must be paid by or on enrolment (find enrolment dates here) unless you are a US Student Loan recipient or your official sponsor has paid Ravensbourne directly.

N.B: Please note that once we have received all required documents and/or fee payment your CAS will normally be issued within 5 working days from the date of receipt.


Issuing a CAS and/or a CAS Letter does not guarantee that an applicant will be successful in securing a UK visa/leave to remain permission. Ravensbourne is not responsible for any decisions made by the Home Office/UKVI and cannot accept any liability for an applicant failing to obtain a visa/leave to remain and/or for the consequences and/or losses (whether financial or otherwise) of such failure. Nor is Ravensbourne liable for consequences of declining to issue a CAS/CAS Letter for an applicant on request.


For more information on the conditions that must be met before a CAS is issued please refer to our  CAS Issuance Policy and the Tier 4 Visas and Immigration section of our website. 


Applying for your Tier 4 (General) visa

Once we have issued your CAS and you have received your CAS letter from us, you should be able to apply for your Tier 4 visa.

If you are applying for a visa from outside of the UK, please refer to the Tier 4 (General) visa section of our website for information on the visa application process, completing the online application form and Tier 4 credibility interviews for visa applications made outside and inside the UK.

Please provide us with a copy of your visa once it has been approved.

6. Your accommodation

Please tell us if you require help in finding accommodation by via email to: studentservices@rave.ac.uk , using the phrase "Ravensbourne accommodation required" in the subject line, and in your message please state your name, Ravensbourne ID number and course of study.

For more information, please visit our accommodation page 

7 . Online pre-enrolment

Once you have received your 30-day visa (short-term) or your post office receipt following your Tier 4 application, please send a copy of the visa vignette and UKVI decision letter to the International Development department. You must then log into your International Admissions Portal online account in order to complete the Tier 4 pre-enrolment task. 

Undergraduate and Postgraduate students are also required to complete the main Ravensbourne online enrolment task before arriving at Ravensbourne. The invitation to complete the online enrolment task will be sent to you via email. 

Foundation Education students are required to complete an enrolment form before arriving at Ravensbourne for their in-person enrolment. You will be provided with more information on this shortly.

N.B: Please note that your online pre-enrolment and Ravensbourne general online enrolment task must be done prior to your arrival at Ravensbourne.

Please ensure you read the Tier 4 Student Terms and Conditions before you complete the Tier 4 pre-enrolment and online enrolment tasks. 

8 . Important dates

2019/2020 term dates details

In-person enrolment

You will be sent an enrolment pack providing you with details about enrolment, induction and orientation. You must ensure that you arrive at Ravensbourne in time for enrolment and induction.

It is very important that you contact us immediately if your mailing address, phone number or email addresses change.


Enrolment and Induction dates 


Please note ensure that you arrive in the UK in order to attend your in-person-enrolment at Ravensbourne. You should arrive in the UK by the following dates for your in-person enrolment:

  • All Pre-sessional English language students: 29 July 2019
  • Foundation Education students: week commencing 2 September 2019. 
  • Postgraduate students: week commencing 9 September 2019
  • Undergraduate students: week commencing 23 September 2019. 

Induction dates: Please find more information here


Documents you need to bring to enrolment 
All students are required to provide the original certificates and documentation at enrolment to confirm their qualifications, identity, and status. Photocopies, faxed or other non-original documents will not be accepted.

What you need to bring:

  • your original academic qualifications and IELTS test certificate  (if applicable) if this/these were used to gain admission to Ravensbourne.
  • personal identification and immigration documents - current passport, short term visa and UKVI decision letter, Biometric Residence Permit (BRP), if available and Police Registration Certificate (if applicable).
  • If you used the e-gates to enter the UK, your boarding pass and/or flight ticket/booking confirmation. 
  • your offer letter from Ravensbourne.
  • receipt confirming submission of an in-time leave to remain application made to the Home Office/UKVI, if you applied for your Tier 4 visa from inside the UK.

Where these originals are not available in English, certified translations will be required as proof of eligibility to study at Ravensbourne.

Should you require special assistance for enrolment please kindly let us know.

Please visit the The New Student page for more information. 


Tier 4 (International) new student orientation dates:

Foundation students: 4 and 5 September 2019- 12:30 pm to 1:00 pm. Come to either one of the sessions depending on your induction schedule.


Postgraduate Students: 9 or 10 September 2019- time and location to follow. 


Undergraduate Students: Sessions will be held on 25, 26 and 27 September 2019 from 4 pm to 5 pm. Please attend any one of the sessions depending on your schedule. 


9 . Arrival in the UK and getting to Ravensbourne

Below are some transport options for getting from the airport to your accommodation/central London and Ravensbourne.


This is a relatively inexpensive way of getting from the airport to your accommodation, however, if you have a lot of luggage you may find it difficult to store all your luggage on the train.

Go to National Rail website for more information:http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/


Long-distance bus services (coaches) are inexpensive and popular with students.National Express Coaches run regular services from all London airports into central London and costs between £20-40, however you may need to get a taxi from the coach station to your accommodation, so getting the coach whilst cheaper than a taxi may not be the most convenient.

London Underground (the ‘Tube’)

Many people use the Tube to get around London. There is a Tube station at Heathrow airport, but not at any other airports near London.

If you have a lot of luggage it can be difficult to use the tube as most stations do not have a lift (elevator). The Tube can be extremely crowded at ‘rush hour’ (weekdays) and on weekends.

Go to the TFL page for more information.


‘Private hire’ taxis, or ‘minicabs’ are car services that must be booked in advanced (via online booking or telephone), and in many cases can be found directly outside places such as train stations, or at designated 'Taxi Ranks'.

Here are some taxi options:

Heathrow Taxis and minicabs (website providing a list of minicabs service, you can put in the number of passengers, amount of luggage and destination and receive a quote before booking.

London Heathrow cars

Do not take unlicensed taxis from the airport - book online to get the best price.

Black cabs:These are iconic black taxis popular in London. Whilst travelling in a ‘black cab’ is something you should experience during your stay in the UK, please do not take a ‘black cab’ to travel from Heathrow or any other airport to your accommodation as they are very expensive.

Airport transfer service: Host International airport transfer.

Specific Airport transportation information

More information on transport options from London airports are available on the respective websites: London Heathrow Airport website and London Gatwick Airport website (click on the taxis and mini cabs option, buses/coaches or underground buttons).


Transit accommodation

If you wish to stay overnight in London during your journey, you should try to arrange accommodation before you leave your home country. You can book accommodation (using a credit card) before you come to the UK by contacting an organisation such as VisitBritain, theLondon Tourist Board, the Youth Hostel Association, or International Students’ House. If you arrive in London without accommodation there are hotel booking agencies at all the major train stations, which can help you find accommodation. Alternatively, you may go to one of the London Tourist Board offices at Liverpool Street Station, Victoria Station or Heathrow Airport if you arrive there. Do not accept offers from agents who may approach you at train stations (especially Victoria) – use one of the offices mentioned above.

Getting to Ravensbourne

Please visit our ‘Location’ page for information on how to get to Ravensbourne.

Please refer to our guide on applying for a Tier 4 visa from outside of the UK for tips on travelling to the UK and UK entry.

Visit the UKCISA website for more advice on arriving in the UK.

10 . What documents do I need to enter the UK?

Please ensure that you travel with all of the documents that you used to apply for your visa. We highly recommend that you pack the following documents in your hand luggage not your checked baggage so that they are readily available when the immigration officer asks to see them:

  • Passport & 30-day short-term visa vignette
  • Visa decision letter
  • CAS Letter
  • Accommodation information (e.g. residence contract or hotel booking confirmation)
  • TB test results (if applicable)
  • Financial evidence (e.g. bank statements proving your maintenance requirements).

11. After you arrive in the UK

  1. Collect your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) from the designated Post Office or UKVCAS stated in your decision letter within 10 days of arriving in the UK.
  2. Register with the Police within 7 days of your arrival in the UK, visa approval if you applied from within the UK, if it is stated in your visa vignette or decision letter. Check here if you need to register with the police.
  3. Provide Ravensbourne with your original current passport, 30 day short term visa vignette and BRP (if available), original academic qualifications and English language test results (if applicable) during enrolment/registration. If you were required to register with the Police you must also provide us with your original Police Registration Certificate. Please visit the OVRO's website for more information.
  4. Attend the your course enrolment, induction sessions and  International Student Orientation programme.
  5. Attend all your classes and other contact points. to comply with the conditions of your Tier 4 visa. 

12. Other Essentials (Post-arrival)

1. Opening a UK bank account

In most cases international students will only be able to open an account that offers basic banking facilities. The type of documentation you will need to provide to open an account varies from bank to bank; you will therefore need to take this into consideration when choosing a bank.
Which documents do I need to open an account? 
As a general guide, this is what you will be required to provide:
  • Your passport with your valid student visa or valid biometric ID card (banks are required to check that you have a valid visa for the UK). 
  • EU students will need to check if a national photo ID card will be sufficient. 
  • A letter from Ravensbourne confirming your course details and UK and overseas addresses. Tier 4 students can request a letter confirming their enrolment from the Admissions department via the Tier 4 Information section on the  Intranet once you have decided which bank you will use. 

Please refer to the British Bankers' Association Guide to UK Banking for International Students for more information on opening a UK bank account and a list of UK banks. 


2. Health Care and Registering with GP doctor

As part of your Tier 4 visa application (if coming to the UK for 6 months or longer) you will be required to pay an Immigration Health Surcharge (this also will apply to any Tier 4 dependants travelling with you). The Immigration Health Surcharge entitles Tier 4 students to access most NHS care in the UK free of charge in the same way as a permanent UK resident
To receive NHS treatment, you must register with a doctor. Click on the link below to search for GPs (surgeries) that are located close to where you live: register at a medical centre

When you go to register with a doctor you will need to produce documentation to prove your identity and address. Documents required may include:

  • Your passport
  • Proof of address
  • Your student ID card
  • Letter from Ravensbourne confirming your student status
  • Other documents (check with surgery).

We recommend that you check with the surgery for information on any specific documents they require prior to your appointment. Once you have registered, you should be sent an NHS card, though this can sometimes take several months to arrive. This confirms that you are now eligible for NHS treatment. You should keep the card in a safe place and always take it with you when you visit the dentist, doctor's surgery or hospital.

Trying to find a doctor when you are ill is an unnecessary pressure that should be avoided. So please register at a medical centre as soon as possible.

What does NHS registration entitle you to? 

  • Free consultation with your doctor/general practitioner    
  • Free hospital treatment at any NHS accident and emergency (A&E) centre 
  • Free hospital treatment if your doctor recommends it
  • Free contraceptive services
  • Free maternity care.

What will you need to pay for?

  • Any medication the doctor prescribes for you (unless you have a valid medical exemption certificate).
  • Any dental treatment within the NHS scheme.
  • Eye tests, glasses or contact lenses .
  • Any forms or letters you may ask to be written or completed for you.
  • Certain vaccinations.

Medication prescribed by your doctor (also known as a prescription drug) currently costs £8 per item.

Tier 4 Information section on the Intranet.  


3. Council Tax

What is Council Tax?

CT (Council Tax) is a charge that local councils set to help pay for services they provide. CT is charged on most homes including houses, flats, houseboats and mobile homes.

Who is exempt from paying Council Tax?

Households where everyone’s a full-time student do not have to pay Council Tax. If you do get a bill, you can apply for an exemption

To count as a full-time student, your course must:

  • last at least 1 year
  • involve at least 21 hours study per week. This includes contact hours plus hours of self-study. OR
  • Someone who is under 20 years old who studies a course of non-advanced education for 12 hours or more per week for at least 3 months

If you live with someone who is not a full time student you are likely to be sent a bill from the Council, however, you may still qualify for the student exemption/discount.

You should also be exempt from paying Council Tax if you are under 18.

How do I apply for Council Tax exemption?

To apply for the Council Tax exemption please request a Council Tax Exemption Certificate by visiting the Tier 4 Information section of the Intranet. Once you have your letter please submit it to the relevant Council Tax office. You should pay your Council Tax, if your receive a bill, until you have received written confirmation from the Council that you are exempt from paying Council Tax. 

Tier 4 students are not normally eligible to receive Council Tax exemption once their course has ended. 


4. Applying for a National Insurance Number(NI)

Everyone who works in the UK needs to have a National Insurance (NI) Number which is a unique personal reference number for all your tax/employment affairs. If you are an international or EEA student and want to work in the UK you will need to apply for a NI once you are in the UK.

You can apply for a National Insurance number by telephoning the application helpline:0800 141 2075.

 The telephone operator will ask you a number of questions including:

  • postcode (of your current UK address
  • personal details (name, date of birth
  • full UK address
  • employer’s name and address
  • your occupation
  • your date of entry to the UK
  • your eligibility to work in the UK (e.g. student visa, student dependant visa, EU citizen).

The phone call will last approximately 10 – 20 minutes.

If the operator considers you to be eligible for a National Insurance number on the basis of the information you have given, they will book an appointment for you to have an interview at one of the local offices (they will provide the address).

Please go to the UK government website for more information on the application process. 

Please contact the Admissions department or Tier 4 Compliance (international@rave.ac.uk) if you have further questions about the process. 


5. Discounted Travel

16+ Zip Oyster photocard

If you are on a 1 year Foundation Programme and were aged 18 or under on 31 August, you should be eligible for a 16+ Zip Oyster photocard.

Click here for more information on the 16+ Zip Oyster photocard and the application process.

18+ Student Oyster photocard

An 18+ Student Oyster photocard entitles you to a 30% discount when you buy a weekly or monthly travelcard. In order to apply, you need to be at least 18 years old and meet the eligibility criteria specified by Transport for London (TFL). There is a charge of £20.00 for each application. 

As a new student at Ravensbourne you will need to apply for an Oyster Card online by logging onto the TFL website. In order to complete your application online, you will need a passport sized digital photograph of yourself available to upload from your computer along with credit or debit card details for paying the £20.00 application fee. You will also need your student ID number (this will be on your Ravensbourne student ID card). 

TfL will ask Ravensbourne to confirm that you are fully enrolled. Please make sure you do not apply for your 18+ Student Oyster photocard until you have fully enrolled.  If you apply before you are fully enrolled at Ravensbourne your application will be put on hold, and it will take longer for your application to be validated by Ravensbourne. 

When you do make your application, ensure that the details you enter match those on your student record, including your full name.  If they do not match your application will be rejected by Ravensbourne.

Please note that during busy periods, such as enrolment, there may be a delay in validating your application

Once your application has been validated by us, TFL will process the rest of your application and will then send your card to the UK address you provided. If you have not received your photocard after three weeks, call the TFL helpline to check the status of your application.  

16-25 Rail Card

If you are aged between 16 - 25 or if you are over 26 and a full time student studying for over 15 hours a week, at least 20 weeks a year (distance learning and part-time courses do not qualify), you could be eligible for the 16 - 25 rail card. You must be fully enrolled and not have an outstanding debt with Ravensbourne in order for us to approve your application.


Facebook: Get regular updates by liking our international students Facebook page 


Telephone: +44(0) 20 3040 3667

We look forward to welcoming you to Ravensbourne in August/September.

Amazing things happen here