Pre-Sessional English Language Courses
Pre-Sessional English language courses are available for students of all disciplines
Ravensbourne offers two types of English language courses available to all English as a second language speakers: Pre-Sessional English Language Course and In-sessional English Language Course. These courses are available to applicants who already hold an offer of a place to study at Ravensbourne.
Study English language at Ravensbourne to improve your English ahead of your main course of study. You'll increase your proficiency with the creative terminology you'll use on your course and meet other Ravensbourne students from around the world before the start of term.
If you are an international student it is recommended that you take the Pre-Sessional English course if you:
- Want to improve your English language skills across reading, writing, listening and speaking ahead of starting your main course of study at Ravensbourne
- Increase your proficiency with the creative language and terminology you will need for your course
- Meet other Ravensbourne students from around the world to make friends and network before the start of term
|Course||Dates||Fees||Deadline for applications|
Postgraduate: 4 week programme
|6th August to 16th September 2018||£2.040*||Applications close on 8th July 2018|
|Undergraduate: 6 week programme||13th August to 30th September 2018||£2,040*||Applications close on 15th July 2018|
In order to gain a place on the Pre-Sessional course, applicants must meet the below requirements:
- Undergraduate and postgraduate study: applicants must be proficient at CEFR Level B2 equivalent to at least 5.5 in each of the four sub-components of language learning: reading, speaking, writing and listening, unless otherwise exempt by Ravensbourne. Applicants may submit a standard Academic IELTS or Trinity test certificate to demonstrate their English language ability at CEFR Level B2
- Further Education (Foundation) study: be proficient at CEFR level B1 equivalent to at least IELTS 4.0 in each of the four sub-components of language learning: reading, speaking, writing and listening. Applicants must submit an IELTS SELT 'IELTS Academic for UKVI' test certificate/Trinity SELT in order to demonstrate their English language ability.
The In-Sessional courses will be automatically available to those who have completed the Pre-Sessional courses and are in need of ongoing support.
All English as a second language speakers that enrol on a full-time course at Ravensbourne will be assessed during the first week of term to see if they would benefit from ongoing English language support alongside their main subject of study at Ravensbourne.
How you'll benefit:
- You'll develop the English Language skills you need to undertake a course of study at Ravensbourne
- You'll develop both the cultural and academic skills necessary to effectively learn through the medium of English
- You'll be introduced to life in London and to British culture
- You'll gain an insight into the British academic environment
Frequently Asked Questions
Who should apply for the Pres-Sessional Course?
The following applicants are recommended to apply for the pre-sessional course at Ravensbourne:
- Applicants who have taken an IELTS exam and achieved 5.5 in two or more components
- Applicants who have achieved the UKVI minimum score through presenting an Academic IELTS or Academic IELTS for UKVI /Trinity SELT (please refer to the IELTS equivalency chart for more information)
- Applicants who have provided an Academic IELTS/SELT certificate which was acquired 12 months or more prior to applying to study at Ravensbourne
- Applicants who have met Ravensbourne's English language requirements but wish to attend an English language programme to improve their English language in a creative learning environment
- Applicants studying at degree level or above who have been exempt from providing a SELT/English language test by Ravensbourne but wish to attend an English programme to improve their English language in a creative learning environment
When should I apply for my Tier 4 student visa?
If your application is successful and once you have paid your fees in full, we will issue you with a single Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) for both the pre-sessional course and your main course of study at least 15 working days before the start of the course.
Once we have issued your CAS you can apply for your visa.
Your CAS is valid for up to six months, however you cannot apply for your visa more than three months before the start date of your course. Please see more information for International students here.
What accommodation is available?
Accommodation is not included in the pre-sessional English programme, but we can provide guidance with your research. Please contact the International team directly through our enquiry form choosing the 'International student information' option as the main subject of enquiry if you need support.
Please be aware that all students are required to have overseas travel/medical insurance to cover themselves whilst staying in London.
How to Apply
In order to apply for the Pre-Sessional course you should already hold an offer to study on a Foundation, Bachelor Degree or Master Degree course at Ravensbourne. For more information on our courses, please see here.
Once you hold an offer, please complete the brief application form here. You will be contacted by an international admissions officer to confirm your place and with further details. Payment of the Pre-Sessional program must be made in full along with the non-refundable CAS deposit of £5,000 directly to Ravensbourne no later than four weeks before the course start date.
All applications to join the Pre-Sessional programme must be received in full by the stated deadlines.
You will receive information on how to join the In-Sessional courses at Ravensbourne during induction.