Entry requirements

Individual entry requirements can be found on each of the course pages, but, please be aware that international learners will need to have a certain level of proficiency in the English language.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is Tier 4 (General) Student Visa?

Tier 4 (General) Student Visa is applicable for migrants from outside the EEA/EU who are applying for a Student Visa to come to the UK or those who are already studying in the UK and applying for an extension or new course. 

Under the Points Based System, applicants must attain a total of 40 Points in order to obtain a visa:

  • 30 Points for a CAS issued by recognised sponsor
  • 10 Points for satisfactory finances to support your studies

Will I need a visa to study at Ravensbourne?

If you are not a UK/EU/EAA citizen, you will require an Tier 4 (General) student visa to study at Ravensbourne.

You will not require a Tier 4 (General) student visa if you currently have permission to be in the UK in another UK immigration category, which allows you to work abd study in the UK. However this immigration permission must be valid for the full length of the course you wish to study at Ravensbourne.

What type of visa do I need?

You need to apply under Tier 4 (General) visa if you are applying for Further Education, Undergraduate and Postgraduate Courses at Ravensbourne.

Can I study Part Time?

If you are not an UK/EU National you must study full time. Part-time study is not possible.

How long can I study in the UK?

From the 6 April 2012, the amount of time that you spend in the UK as a student is five years.

This does not apply in the following cases:

  • You have a three to four year undergraduate degree in the UK and are applying for a Masters course (total of six years)
  • You have studied Architecture at undergraduate level and intend to pursue a Masters in Architecture

When do I apply for a Tier 4 (General) Student Visa?

If you want to apply for a Tier 4 General visa to study at Ravensbourne, we recommend that you should start applying minimum three months before the course starts.  It is only possible to apply for a Student Visa after you have been issued with a Ravensbourne Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) Number.

Does Ravensbourne help international students to find accommodation?

Ravensbourne works with a number of private accommodation providers to support students in finding suitable housing whilst studying at Ravensbourne.

We have 100 reserved en-suite rooms for first year students with a local accommodation provider located a short distance by Underground from our campus. For more information and how to apply please visit our accomodation page or contact our Student Advisor.

We also have a partnership with the University London Housing Service which helps students find housing in the private sector as well as providing advice and guidance on topics including tenancy issues and contract setting.

Can I work in the UK whilst studying?

If you have student immigration permission that allows you to take employment, you can work up to 20 hours or up to 10 hours a week during term-time, but, you must not be self-employed or take a permanent full-time job.

However, you should be able to pay your tuition fees and living costs without having to work in the UK and you should not rely on money from work in the UK.

For more up-to-date information on working in the UK while you study, please consult the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA).

Can I work in the UK after finishing my studies?

For information on working in the UK after your studies, please visit the UKVI and the UKCISA websites.

Will I need to attend an interview?

An interview and portfolio are normally required. Overseas applicants who are unable to attend the interview in person may be interviewed by telephone or via Skype.

Do students need vaccinations before arriving in the UK?

International students should speak to their doctor in their home country about which vaccinations to have and must also check with their local embassy whether there are any vaccinations that are legally required before they enter the UK.

Tuberculosis (TB) screening is required if you are from a country with a prevalence of TB. To check which countries this applies to, visit the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) website

Amazing things happen here