Postgraduate Peer Mentoring is a unique programme Ravensbourne offers to our postgraduate students, incubation companies and alumni to learn and practice the skills of mentoring - a key requirement for future leadership and management roles.
We train at least 20 postgraduate students to act as mentors to a selected group of undergraduates.
You will be trained to be a mentor and receive supervision and enhanced skills training throughout the year.
How would being a mentor help me?
Our postgraduate mentors listed the following skills that they developed from mentoring at Ravensbourne:
- Coaching and learning to ask the right questions
- Attentiveness and concentration
- Being reflective rather than reactive
Research has shown that mentors also benefit in the following ways:
- Develop and demonstrate personal qualities that are important in life and to future employers, including commitment, responsibility and self-confidence
- Reinforce their knowledge of the subject matter being communicated
- Develop communication, interpersonal, tutoring, counselling and mentoring skills
- Gain credit for their work as mentors
Our mentors also told us the it helped them feel more connected with other students and the university.
Natasha Maw is a mentoring consultant, trainer and coach. She is co-founder of the training partnership Quattrain where she has run three mentoring schemes for the BBC, one of which was part of the BBC Director General’s strategy to promote more female presenters on radio. Last year, she ran the successful peer mentoring scheme at Ravensbourne. She is currently working on women’s development programmes with Imperial College, UCL and the Future Leaders Trust.
Previously, she ran a commercial radio station, established her own production company and worked for ten years as a producer in BBC factual programming and then for five years in leadership training and coaching at the BBC.
If you are interested in becoming a mentor please complete the online application form, or if you would like to know about the scheme and the benefits of mentoring, please email Alberto Villanueva on email@example.com.