Ravensbourne University London
Covid-19 update Courses Apply now

Health & Safety

Under health & safety law, work experience students/graduates are your employees. You treat them no differently to other young people you employ.

If you are advised to do something that is contrary to, or goes beyond, this guidance you can question it by contacting HSE’s Myth Buster Challenge Panel

Your existing employers' liability insurance policy will cover work placements provided your insurer is a member of the Association of British Insurers, so there is no need for you to obtain any additional employer’s liability insurance if you take on work experience students or graduates. If you are a small employer public liability insurance will also be accepted but you maybe required to show evidence of polices.

What you need to do:

    • Simply use your existing arrangements for assessments and management of risks to young people
    • If you have fewer than five employees you are not required to have a written risk assessment
    • Avoid repeating your assessment of the risks if a new student or graduate is of a broadly similar level of maturity and understanding or a health & safety, and has no particular or additional needs (Ravensbourne should tell you if they have)
    • If you do not currently employ a young person, have not done so in the last few years or are taking on a work experience student for the first time, or one with particular needs, review your risk assessment before they start
    • Discuss the placement in advance with Ravensbourne and take account of what they tell you of the student’s physical and psychological capacity and of any particular needs, for example due to any health conditions or learning difficulties

Keep any additional work in proportion to the environment:

  • For placements in low-risk environments (such as offices) with everyday risks that will mostly be familiar to the student/graduate, your existing arrangements for other employees should suffice
  • For environments with risks less familiar to the student/graduate, you will need to make arrangements to manage the risks. This will need to include induction, supervision, site familiarisation, and any protective equipment needed
  • For a placement in a higher-risk environment such as construction, agriculture and manufacturing you will need to:
  • Consider what work the student will be doing or observing, the risks involved and how these are managed.
  • Satisfy yourself that the instruction, training and supervisory arrangements have been properly thought through and that they work in practice.
  • You may, in particular for higher-risk environments, need to consider specific factors that must be managed for young people, including exposure to radiation, noise and vibration, toxic substances, or extreme temperatures. Where these specific factors exist in your workplace, you should already have control measures in place. This will also apply to legally required age limits on the use of some equipment and machinery (eg forklift trucks and some woodworking machinery). Consider whether you need to do anything further to control the risks to young people.
  • Explain to Ravensbourne the significant risks are and what has been done to control them. This can be done in whatever way is simplest and suitable, including verbally.
  • When you induct students, explain the risks and how they are controlled, checking that they understand what they have been told.
  • Check that students and graduates know how to raise health & safety concerns.
  • More information about managing risks is available in health & safety made simple.

Amazing things happen here