International Summer Course: Fashion Portfolio
Work with industry experts to create pieces for your Fashion portfolio.
The Ravensbourne International summer course in Fashion/Textiles is an intensive 4 week course covering a range of processes in art & design, within a fashion context.
You will work on one project from initial concept through to final design. This course is aimed at individuals wishing to develop their portfolios & skills in preparation for both FE and HE education, with a particular interest in the fashion, textiles & accessories design industry.
The course is structured in a similar way to our Foundation in Fashion & Textiles, and offers you the chance to develop your portfolio and skills for progression in Art & Design, whilst also giving the experience of being a fashion/textiles student in London. On completion of the course you will have a portfolio that can be used alongside your application for entry to a Foundation course or a BA (Hons) degree in Fashion.
Monday 25th June to Friday 20th July, 2018 (4 weeks)
£4250 with accommodation (£3250 without accommodation)
- 4 weeks of intensive classes with industry experts with over 5 years of experience teaching at Ravensbourne
- Portfolio preparation and development
- Visits to London fashion design studios
- Visits to two London museums and exhibitions including the Frida Kahlo Exhibition at the V&A
- Visiting industry professionals with experience working at Alexander McQueen, Alexa Chung, Lanvin, Chloe, etc
- Professional advice on progression to Fashion courses and the Fashion industry
- Accommodation (if accommodation option chosen)
- Travelcard for Zones 1 & 2
- Basic materials and toiling fabric
- Entry to the Ravensbourne Degree Show
- A certificate on completion
What will I learn?
You will work on a variety of skills within the fashion design process such as:
- how to generate a concept from an initial idea
- how to gather research from a range of sources (both primary & secondary)
- a range of art & design methods used to develop ideas
- how to develop an idea thoroughly towards a final design
- exploration & experimentation of fashion illustration techniques
- the opportunity to experience using digital technology (laser cutting, digital printing, digital embroidery, 3D printing)
- basic pattern cutting
- sketchbook layout & composition
- portfolio presentation skills how to create a directional concept board
- You will be supported to design and create one fashion line
How will I benefit?
- The work you produce with us on this course can be used in your portfolio when applying for any of the below courses:
- You will also receive advice on how best to present your portfolio of work, and which course is the best option for you.
- If you're not planning on going onto a Fashion Design degree, or you're not sure yet, you can also use this course to explore your interest in Fashion Design, and just have fun!
- Progression: Students who wish to progress to Foundation Diploma or Bachelor Degree course at Ravensbourne will be assessed based on their qualifications and portfolio for entry to our programs. Students who require a Tier 4 Student Visa will need to meet the Tier 4 requirements. For more information on being an international student at Ravensbourne, please see the International section of our website.
Why choose this course?
- Completion of the course will provide you with a portfolio which can be used to apply to a Foundation course or degree course at Ravensbourne*
- Our 4 week course is ideal for furthering skills and developing portfolios during the summer
- You will have one-to-one tuition and presentations from a series of industry professionals who have a wealth of knowledge & experience in the fashion industry
- Ravensbourne is at the forefront of digital design and you will have access to all our digital resources and equipment
- Ravensbourne is based in North Greenwich, Zone 1, and has easy access to central London
*entry to Ravensbourne full-time courses at foundation and undergraduate level is dependent on meeting our entry requirements and being eligible for a student visa, where applicable. Please see more information on our international page.
How to apply
To apply, please download and complete the application form. Please email your application form along with any relevant supporting documents to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You may wish to provide examples of your work within art and design or fashion, and you can include this as an attachment or as a link in the email with your application form.
Course fees and payment
4 week course with accommodation: £4250
4 week course with no accommodation: £3250
You will receive more information about how to pay your fees once you have been offered a place on the course.
Short Term Study Visa
Students from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland will require a Short-term Study Visa in order to study in the UK for up to 6 months.
Please see more information on the Short-term Study Visa, and how to apply on the GovUK website here.
You can apply for the Short-term Study visa up to 3 months before the date you intend to travel to the UK. You can check visa processing times for your country here.