Knowing more about the broadcast industry and the potential career options available to you will help you focus on an area of expertise.
Transmission engineers supervise the transmission of all genres of television programmes and work in the Master Control Room (MCR). They are responsible for the overall, day-to-day management of broadcasters' transmission facilities, overseeing all incoming feeds from Outside Broadcasts (OB), other sources, and all outgoing transmissions.
Junior engineer - Post production
Engineers are the first line of maintenance within post production facilities houses. They are employed to keep the facilities running, and to integrate new technology. Because so many post-production functions are now carried out on or with computers, engineering is often combined with other job roles, particularly those of tape operators and machine room assistants.
- Design, installation and commissioning of broadcast systems within required timescales.
- Configuration of broadcast and IT equipment.
- Liaising with the customer.
- Supervision of installation staff.
- Production of price variation documents.
- Generation of handover documentation.
Read the full job profile on the Prospects website here.
Technical support engineer
- Provide technical support and fault finding in an HD studio and production environment.>
- To repair, replace and resolve any issues that arise on broadcast servers, routers and studio equipment.
- To provide preventative maintenance whilst liaising directly with supervisors and technical management, in order to continue their high level of quality and reliability.
- Assistance in special installation projects and programs when needed.
- Monitor technical and production output.
- Reactive engineering support as required in a live broadcast environment.
Read the full job profile on the Creative Skillset website here.
The vision mixer ensures that the vision quality and aesthetics of studio shows are of a high standard.
- Central point of contact for technical requests within the studio facility.
- Liaise with both internal and external clients.
- Align and maintain studio engineering equipment.
- Prepare the studio for recordings and transmissions.
- Control cameras’ output.
Read the full job profile on the Creative Skillset websitehere.
Outside Broadcast guarantee engineer
The purpose of the role is to guarantee, this includes rig, configure and operation, the provision of Outside Broadcast (OB) facilities for OB productions, meeting customers’ requirements to the highest professional standards.