Important changes to Overseas Tier 4 visa Applications

Important changes to Tier 4 (General) student visa applications made overseas

As of 18 March 2015, there has been a change to the process by which applicants overseas apply for their Tier 4 (General) student visa to study at Ravensbourne.

The changes to the visa application process and the roll-out dates are set out below.

Your visa application

When you apply for a Tier 4 (General) student visa to study at Ravensbourne, you will be given a vignette* in your passport valid for 30 days which will be used as your visa to enter the UK. You must arrange to enter the UK during this 30 day period.

*Make sure to check that all the information (name, dates, date of birth and sponsor number [D6JMMF0A4]) on the sticker in your passport is correct, if not, you will need to contact your local visa application centre to get them corrected

Please refer to the British Council or your local British Embassy or Consulate website for more information on making a Tier 4 (General) student visa application.

As well as this sticker, you should also receive a decision letter with information about how to collect your biometric residence permit (BRP) from a post office within the UK. Please scan and e-mail a copy of this letter to once received. You must collect your BRP within the 30 day period and bring it to the Ravensbourne International department so that we can make a copy.

When you make your Tier 4 application, you need to make sure that you have the following information available:

  • The exact date you intend to travel to the UK; and
  • The address where you will be living in the UK (see below if you do not have this information available)

Remember, you can only apply for your visa up to three months before the start of your course.

You should be given the option of collecting your BRP card from a Post Office Branch in London at the end of your applications.

Please see below when your country will start with the new Biometric Residence Permit visa application. 

Phase 1 – 18 March 2015



Phase 2 – 15 April 2015















Republic of Ireland







North Korea









Sri Lanka



Phase 3 – 31 May 2015



Falkland Islands




Ascension Island





Trinidad & Tobago




New Zealand

St Helena

United Arab Emirates


Cayman Islands



St Lucia



Dominican Republic








Papua New Guinea

South Korea



Phase 4 – 31 July 2015

Rest of the world


Where do I collect my BRP card?

When selecting the address for which you wish to register your residence, you will be allocated a post office near this address.

If you do not have a UK address at the time of making the application, please use the following as your residential address in your application form: Ravensbourne, 6 Penrose Way, Greenwich Digital Peninsula, London, SE10 0EW

However, if you have selected a post office near Ravensbourne, it is likely you will have selected one of the ones in Canary Wharf. Please click on the links below for further information:

Canary Wharf


Churchill Place


Click here for more information on how to apply for a Tier 4 (General) student visa.


What must I do when I receive my BRP?

You must check your permit carefully when you receive it, to make sure that all the details on it are correct. if you find a mistake, you must e-mail within 10 working days of receiving the permit. You must provide UKVI with as many of the following details as possible:

  • full name;
  • date of birth;
  • nationality;
  • passport number;
  • contact telephone number;
  • BRP reference number;
  • case reference number; and
  • exactly what is wrong with the BRP.

Please make sure to make a copy of your BRP in case it is lost or stolen as you may need it to make any future applications.

When can I travel to the UK?

As soon as you have received your 30-day visa and your decision letter, you must enter the UK within this 30-day period. Therefore, we recommend you do not make any travel arrangements until you have been issued these documents as there may be delays to their issue. Once you have received them, act quickly in making your travel arrangements.


What do I need to enter the UK?

Please ensure that you travel with all of the documents that you used to apply for your visa.  We highly recommend that you pack the following documents in your hand luggage not your checked baggage so that they are readily available when the immigration officer asks to see them:

  • Passport & 30-day visa
  • Visa decision letter
  • CAS Letter
  • Accommodation information (e.g. residence contract or hotel booking confirmation)
  • TB test results
  • Financial evidence (e.g. bank statements proving your maintenance requirements)


*NEW* Immigration Health Surcharge

As of 6 April 2015, if you are applying for a Tier 4 (General) student visa to study at Ravensbourne, you will also be required to pay an immigration health surcharge when making your application.

The immigration health surcharge will ensure that temporary, non-EEA migrants coming to the UK for more than six months contribute to the National Health System (NHS) in a manner in line with their immigration status.

The health surcharge will be £150 per year for students, payable upfront and for the total period of time for which you have permission to study in the UK.

If you are an Australian or New Zealand national, you will not have to pay the immigration health surcharge.

How do I pay the surcharge? The surcharge is payable in full when you apply for your visa. It is very important that that you make sure you have paid the surcharge before you submit or send your visa application. If you choose to attend in person at one of the Premium Service Centres (UK only), please make sure that you have paid your surcharge before your appointment.

What if my application is refused? If an application is refused, you will be automatically refunded the amount paid without having to take any further action. If you pay the surcharge and are issued a visa but then decide not to travel, the payment will not be refunded.


Tuberculosis (TB) Tests

If you are coming to study in the UK under a Tier 4 (General) student visa for more than six months and are a resident in any of these listed countries you will need to provide a TB test certificate proving that you do not have TB.

Please click here for more information.


Contact Us

Please feel free to get in touch with the International Team via the contact details below if you have any questions regarding your Tier 4 application.

Alternatively, you can sign up to one of our Tier 4 Google hangout sessions where an expert member of our International Team will be online to answer all of your immigration questions and help you through the application process. Simply click here to sign-up for one of our sessions.


International Development Department

Tel: (+44)203 040 3667