Individual entry requirements can be found on each of the course pages, but, please be aware that international learners will need to have a certain level of profiency in the English language.
Immigration and visas
If you are not a national of one of the following countries, you may be required to apply for a Tier 4 (General) student visa in order to study at Ravensbourne:
Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Republic of Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom
If you want to apply for a Tier 4 (General) student visa to study at Ravensbourne, we recommend that you start applying a minimum of three months before the course starts (this would normally be in June).
It is only possible to apply for a Tier 4 (General) student visa after you have been issued with a Ravensbourne Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) Number.
Under the Points Based System, applicants must attain a total of 40 Points in order to obtain a visa:
- 30 Points for a CAS issued by recognised sponsor
- 10 Points for satisfactory finances to support your studies
You will not require a Tier 4 (General) student visa if you currently have permission to be in the UK in a residential category, which allows you to study, such as Indefinte Leave to Remain (ILR), Limited Leave to Remain (LLR), Refugee status, Humanitarian Protection or Discretionary Leave or you have UK immigration permission in a visa category that allows study, such as Tier 1, 2 or 5. This permission must be valid for the full length of your course.
For more information about UK visas and immigration visit the UKVI and UKCISA websites.
English language requirements
United Kingdom Visas and Immigration (UKVI) has revised its rules for Tier 4 (General) student visa applications regarding English language ability.
All international applicants requiring a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) for degree level study are now required to demonstrate that they are competent in English language at the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) B2 or above in all sub skills (listening, writing, reading and speaking).
International applicants whose first language is not English are required to show that they have a certain level of English ability.
UKVI has identified the following as a way to prove proficient English language skills;
- The applicant is from a majority English speaking country as follows: Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, the Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Canada, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, New Zealand, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, the United States of America. The Home Office will confirm your nationality using your passport; or
- The applicant has a Bachelor's degree or above from a UK institution; or
- The applicant has completed an academic qualification, which meets the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or a PhD in the UK which was taught in a majority English speaking country, (with the exception of Canada); or
- The applicant is proficient at CEFR level B2 in each of the four subcomponents of language learning (reading, writing, speaking and listening) if planning to study an Undergraduate or a Postgraduate Degree; or
- The applicant is proficient at CEFR level B1 in each of the four subcomponents of language learning (reading, writing, speaking and listening) if planning to study on Foundation programme.
If you do not meet the criteria above, you will need to sit an IELTS academic test and then provide Ravensbourne with your IELTS reference number or scanned copy of your test certificate in order for us to verify it.
The minimum IELTS scores (or equivalent) required to study at Ravensbourne are as follows:
- Further Education: 5.0 in each of the four subcomponents of language learning (reading, writing, speaking and listening); or
- Undergraduate: 6.0 in each of the four subcomponents of language learning (reading, writing, speaking and listening);
- Postgraduate: 6.5 overall score and a minimum score of 6.0 in each of the four subcomponents of language learning (reading, writing, speaking and listening).
In order for Ravensbourne to issue a CAS for use in requesting a Tier 4 (General) student visa, applicants must meet the English language conditions outlined above.
Applicants who do not meet all/some of Ravensboure's specific IELTS score requirements for their level of study may be required to undertake an internal English language proficiency assessment or pre-sessional English language programme. As a UK HEI Ravensbourne is allowed to assess applicants’ English language ability based on our own criteria. We shall assess an applicant’s English language proficiency outside of the IELTS score requirements on a case by case basis.
Secure English Language Tests (SELTs)
As of 6th April 2015, Trinity College London and IELTS will be the only two exams approved by UK Visas & Immigration (UKVI) to provide Secure English Language Tests (SELTs) for Tier 4 student visa applications.
Any test used as evidence of English language competence for Tier 4 visa applications taken after 6th April , either in-country or out of country, will need to have been taken at an approved SELTs centre.
Please make sure that any IELTS test taken after 6th April 2015 is taken at an approved SELTs centre. For more information, please consult the British Embassy in the country from which you wish to apply.
IELTS is the only SELT which can be taken overseas and used for a Tier 4 visa application as evidence of meeting the English language competence.
In order to see the availability of your local IELTS test centre please click here.
Trinity College London
The Trinity Integrated Skills in English (ISE) qualification has been selected by UKVI as an approved SELTs for the Tier 4 application process.
Full exam information can be found on the Trinity College website.
For more information on the SELT equivalents please click here.
We're here to help, so you can contact the International team directly through our enquiry form. Please choose one of the International options as the main subject of enquiry.